Equipment rescue efforts are currently underway in Sylvan Lake as a piece of Town Machinery appears to be lodged within the ice. It appears as though the equipment was working on the ice to prepare the area for skaters.
The incident took place near the Sylvan Lake's Pier.
No injuries have been reported as result of the incident and there are no emergency crews on scene. The Town of Sylvan Lake continues to work to remove the piece of equipment.
Here are some tips on staying safe on the ice this winter:
- Avoid ice near open water and be extra cautious on river and stream ice
- Look for signage warning of thin or weak ice
- Never walk on ice less than 10 centimeters thick
- Never drive on ice less than 30 centimeters thick
- Drive slowly on ice keep seatbelts off
- Open your window a crack
- Half unlatch your door for quick opening