On Tuesday (July 9), at approximately 2:10 p.m., the Carstairs Fire Department was dispatched to a grass fire in the east ditch of the QE11 northbound lanes, between Township Road 293 and 294.   

The fire was believed to have been started by a discarded cigarette and was contained quickly.  

With dry conditions, the Didsbury RCMP have issued a fire warning, and are asking Central Albertans to be aware of the dangers of discarding flammable materials out of vehicle windows.  

An RCMP press release said, “By throwing a cigarette out your window, you are risking property damage, and the lives of those around and the first responders who have to deal with the fires.”