The Red Deer Polytechnic Kings are moving on to the quarterfinals after beating the Olds College Broncos 3-1 in a play-in match yesterday afternoon in Red Deer. 

Regardless of the score, the match was close for all 90 minutes and the Broncos were fighting for their season but just couldn’t find their way past the Kings back line or Jared St. Thomas in net. 

After an amazing through ball from striker Eduardo Crespo to teammate Grant Johnson, the Kings were given a goal opportunity, but Johnson blasted it wide of the Broncos net. 

The Kings and Broncos kept battling trying to find the holes in the opposition but were each playing a great defensive, tough game. 

The Kings would be the first one to find the hole and the back of the net in this do-or-die game to go up 1-0. It was a nice progression and ball movement up the field from the back line for Red Deer. Johnson would dribble the ball down the line and send a ball in to the 18-yard box to midfielder Jhojanner Amaris who would strike it past Joao Batista to open the scoring. 

After some great pressure by the Broncos in the last five minutes of the half, they were awarded for their efforts with a goal from a penalty kick. Broncos midfielder Abu Bangura was tackled inside the box and was awarded a penalty kick. Bangura left the game briefly due to an injury so captain Valentin Kirchner would take the penalty kick and shoot it past Kings goalkeeper Thomas who dove the other way. 

At the end of the first half, it was dead locked at one. For the majority of the first 45 minutes, the ball was spent in the middle of the pitch with both teams trying hard to push past the oppositions defensive line. There were very few goal chances for both sides but when there was an opportunity, St. Thomas and Batista came up big with the save for their respective teams. 

The Kings would get the first goal chance of the second half with a beautiful strike from midfielder Jaeden Swartz from 35 yards out. He had the distance and the power, but it could not find its way under the crossbar. 

Halfway through the second half, the Kings were awarded a free kick just outside the 18-yard box. Facing a five-man, captain Ajdin Sarcevic would strike it with authority past the diving Batista into the top corner for the 2-1 lead. 

After some back-and-forth action in both ends, Kings striker Johnson would finally get one for himself. He would receive a pass off a throw-in from his own end where he would work it down the line and cut into the box. With a few Broncos’ players on his tail, he would squeak one through a sliding Batista and put the Kings up 3-1 late in the second half. 

Kings Head Coach Admir Sarcevic says his team found a way yet again to push forward with a victory after a slow start to the match. 

“We were patient enough to play our game and then the goals eventually came. The men did awesome, and I am very proud of the team. We were pretty much short-handed most of the season, so this is very awarded for the men to go off to play in the quarterfinals.” 

With this win, the Kings will now face the Keyano College Huskies. The Kings quarterfinal match will take place on Friday, October 28 at 10 am in Raymond at Comet Stadium.

The players of the match for the Kings went to Sarcevic with his great effort in the midfield and the game- winning goal. For the Broncos, it was given to defender Zayne Boughazale for his outstanding effort in his last game of the season.