Innisfail RCMP now advise that road conditions are extremely poor between Carstairs and Olds, on the QEII. Officers are responding to numerous collisions (potentially 12) on this portion of the Highway.
Innisfail RCMP are advising of poor road conditions on the QEII Highway and area roadways from Innisfail to Red Deer. Officers have responded to 5 collisions so far this morning. Please ensure to take extra precautions when travelling or consider avoiding travel due to icy roads and blowing snow.
Central Alberta Online has also received reports of multiple vehicles in the ditch on Highway 11A between Red Deer and Sylvan Lake.
Alberta RCMP have offered some tips on keeping safe with the snowy conditions.
Tips for driving:
- Keep your headlights on all the time
- Ensure your vehicle is in a safe mechanical condition
- Never use cruise control in winter conditions
- It is not recommended to travel in winter conditions if your vehicle is equipped with summer tires
- On a wet or slick surface, allow yourself at least three times the normal following distance to stop
- Remember that bridge decks may be slippery even when other parts of the highway are not
Keep an emergency road kit in your vehicle, with the following supplies:
- blanket or sleeping bag
- extra clothing and footwear
- emergency non-perishable food
- candle in a deep tin
- waterproof matches
- first aid kit
- flashlight with extra batteries
- fire extinguisher
- booster cables
- ice scraper
- snow brush
- paper towels or rags
- road map
- sand, road salt or kitty litter
Officers also recommend motorists have a fully charged cell phone on hand for emergencies.