The Town of Ponoka is offering a new Downtown Façade Improvement Program. The program encourages redevelopment and upgrades to the commercial buildings downtown Ponoka.
“The purpose of the program is to encourage building improvements and investment in the downtown core,” said Ponoka Mayor Kevin Ferguson. “By assisting business owners in the downtown area to make improvements to their buildings, the program aims to help attract more visitors and business activity to the downtown core and promote economic growth in our community,” said Mayor Ferguson.
Matching Grants for Up to 50 Per Cent of Eligible Costs
The Downtown Façade Improvement Program will provide municipal grants to owners of buildings in the Central Commercial C1 District of Ponoka (the downtown area) for up to 50 per cent of eligible building improvement costs – up to a maximum of $5,000 per project.
Examples of work that will be eligible for reimbursement are:
- Restoration of exterior finishes and repainting of the building façade;
- Repair or replacement of windows, doors and doorways;
- Installation or replacement of exterior building lighting;
- Installation of awnings and canopies;
- New architectural details such as entrance ways, base trim, cornices and corner accents;
- Addition of permanent patio areas and permanent landscaping elements connecting to the street; and
- Installation of accessibility structures, such as ramps and entrance features.
The Downtown Façade Improvement Program is part of the ongoing implementation of the Town of Ponoka Downtown Action Plan, which focuses on enhancing Ponoka’s downtown core as a primary retail and commercial district for Ponoka and the surrounding area.
Applications are now open for the program. Downtown business owners can contact the Town of Ponoka Development Services at 403-782-4431 or by emailing email@example.com.