On Jan. 2, 2024, at 3:00 a.m., RCMP were notified of a suspicious vehicle operating in the industrial park on Imperial way in Olds. Upon officers approaching the vehicle, it rammed two police vehicles as it attempted to leave the area, rendering both inoperable. The vehicle came to a stop and both occupants were arrested. Checks on the vehicle revealed that it was stolen.
Eric Michael Unger (33) has been charged with:
- Possession of stolen property over $5000
- Possession of Break in tools
- Flight from police
- Possession of a weapon for a dangerous purpose
- Dangerous Driving
- Fail to comply with release order
- Assault with weapon of a police officer (x2)
- Fail to comply with a probation order
Unger was taken before a justice of the peace and remanded into custody with his next court date set for Jan. 8, 2024 at the Alberta Court of Justice in Didsbury.
Another 29-year-old male resident of Red Deer was arrested and has charges pending.
“This is the 4th Olds police car struck by another vehicle in the last 4 weeks,” say Staff Sergeant Warren Wrights.” This demonstrates the dangers our officers face while executing their duties.”