An extreme cold warning has been issued for the central Alberta area. Wind chill values are expected near minus 40 tonight and will be moderate throughout the day on Friday. Extreme cold conditions may also continue into Friday night as well.
The extreme cold warning is in effect for the following areas:
- City of Red Deer
- Co. of Stettler near Stettler Nevis and Rochon Sands
- Lacombe Co. near Clive Alix and Mirror
- Lacombe Co. near Eckville
- Lacombe Co. near Lacombe Blackfalds and Bentley
- Ponoka Co. near Ponoka and Maskwacis
- Red Deer Co. near Elnora Lousana and Delburne
- Red Deer Co. near Penhold Innisfail and Bowden
- Red Deer Co. near Pine Lake
- Red Deer Co. near Spruce View and Red Lodge Prov. Park
- Red Deer Co. near Sylvan Lake and Stephansson House
- Ponoka Co. near Crestomere
- Ponoka Co. near Rimbey Bluffton and Hoadley
Extreme cold puts everyone at risk.
Risks are greater for young children, older adults, people with chronic illnesses, people working or exercising outdoors, and those without proper shelter.
Watch for cold related symptoms: shortness of breath, chest pain, muscle pain and weakness, numbness and colour change in fingers and toes.
Dress warmly. Dress in layers that you can remove if you get too warm. The outer layer should be wind resistant.
If it's too cold for you to stay outside, it's too cold for your pet to stay outside.