Ponoka’s new off-leash dog park is open and ready for visitors. The new park is located on the east side of 49th Street, south of 57 Avenue and across from the Town of Ponoka’s Operations Department.
“The new off-leash dog park is an exciting addition to our community,” said Ponoka Mayor Kevin Ferguson. “It is already being used by our local citizens, and as I’ve been learning more about doggy tourism, I know it will also be attracting many visitors to Ponoka,” he added.
The new off-leash dog park features:
- Agility equipment for dogs;
- Sheltered seating areas with benches;
- Waste receptacles;
- Double-gated entrances;
- Waste bag stations to pick up after your pet;
- Fencing around the perimeter of the park with access to the Battle River;
- A gravel walking trail that makes a loop around the park;
- Fenced small dog area;
- A paved parking lot with overflow parking available at the north trailhead of the Battle River Valley walking trail system located just north of the new park on 49 Street; and
- A walking trail extension that connects the new dog park with the north trailhead of the Battle River Valley trail system.
A few finishing touches to the off-leash dog park will be completed next spring, including seeding grass in some areas of the park. Once that is completed, a grand opening celebration is being planned for 2024.
The Town of Ponoka asks dog park users to please follow these dog park etiquette guidelines to help keep the park clean and safe for all users:
- Please clean up after your pet and use the waste receptacles;
- Dogs must be on a leash when entering and exiting the off-leash dog park;
- Owners are responsible for keeping your dog within sight and under control at all times;
- Aggressive dogs are not allowed in the park;
- All dogs must wear a visible dog licence tag; and
- Female dogs in heat are not allowed in the park.
You can find more information on the dog park here.