Red Deer RCMP Crime Reduction Team (CRT) recently completed a 3-day TRAP Operation, which led to the arrest of numerous people and the recovery of stolen property.
Between Nov. 15-17, 2023, Red Deer RCMP CRT led an initiative focused on recovering stolen vehicles and apprehending those responsible for the thefts. The initiative was successful with the assistance of several RCMP units throughout the central Alberta area.
As a result of the operation:
- 9 stolen vehicles were recovered
- 10 people are facing new charges
- 42 new Criminal Code charges laid
- 16 new Traffic Safety Act charges laid
- 37 outstanding warrants were executed
- Seizure of methamphetamine and fentanyl
- One recovery led to the identification of a suspect involved in a series of break and enters
In one notable case, police followed a stolen vehicle to the Red Deer Remand Centre where the driver picked up a suspect from an investigation that began the day before. The occupants of the vehicle were arrested a short time later at a local apartment complex.
Red Deer RCMP Crime Reduction Team is committed to the safety of Red Deer. By using an intelligence-led strategy, CRT is able to focus on identifying repeat offenders and conduct targeted enforcement initiatives such as TRAP, in an effort to reduce crime within Red Deer.
RCMP remind the public that crime prevention is a shared responsibility. Members of the community are reminded of their role in preventing criminal activity:
- Lock up houses, sheds, vehicles and any other property that is easily accessible
- Never leave running vehicles unlocked. Nearly half of the vehicle thefts in Alberta over the past year have had the keys left inside
- Take photos and record serial numbers of property
If you have any information regarding criminal activity in Red Deer, please contact Red Deer RCMP at 403-406-2200, call 911, or contact your local Police Service. If you wish to remain anonymous, you can contact Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477 (TIPS), online at www.P3Tips.com or by using the "P3 Tips" app available through the Apple App or Google Play Store.